For his first major feature, freelancer Brendan Borrell crisscrossed Bolivia for 2 ½ weeks in an old truck with notebook, recorder, and camera, waiting out roadblocks, going a long time between meals, and of course […]
Archive for November, 2010
For a special issue of Science News, staff writer Tina Saey explored research on why we sleep—and what happens when we can’t. Here, Saey, who wrote the package along with staff writers Laura Sanders and […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Are You an Editor or a Writer? Part II: The Editors
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
Liza Gross Digs into California’s Pesticide Data
Ask TON: Dumb Questions
Natural Habitat: Cynthia Graber
Daniel Engber Dissects the Ubiquitous Laboratory Mouse
David Quammen on Turning Research Into Story, Part I
Ask TON: Organizing Notes
Roberta Kwok Tracks an Asteroid as It Hurtles toward Earth
Jon Mooallem on a Plan to Bring Hippopotamus Ranching to America
Dispatches from Fact-Checking
Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
Writing Revealing Stories Based on Unreliable Sources
Happy Birthday to Us! And … Introducing “Ask TON”
Ask TON: Using Quotes
Ask TON: Are Edits Suggestions or Demands?
Robin Marantz Henig Explores the Biology of Anxiety
Deborah Blum: From Book to Documentary Film