For his first major feature, freelancer Brendan Borrell crisscrossed Bolivia for 2 ½ weeks in an old truck with notebook, recorder, and camera, waiting out roadblocks, going a long time between meals, and of course […]
Archive for November, 2010
For a special issue of Science News, staff writer Tina Saey explored research on why we sleep—and what happens when we can’t. Here, Saey, who wrote the package along with staff writers Laura Sanders and […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
Nailing the Nut Graf
Christie Aschwanden Pits Evidence against ‘Truthiness’
TON Collaborates with Knight Science Journalism at MIT
Video: David Quammen Interview
Pictures and Prose: When Photographers and Writers Work Together
David Tuller Untangles the Research History of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Ask TON: Why Blog?
Erik Vance Scrutinizes a Battle over Dolphin Rights
Carl Zimmer Ponders Unseen Ecosystems Teeming Within Us
Diversity in Science Writing: A Survey
Susan Dominus Delves into the Lives and Minds of a Remarkable Pair of Conjoined Twins
Ask TON: Which Meetings?
Sharpening Ideas: From Topic to Story
A Day in the Life of Brian Switek
Adam Rogers Shadows a Fungus Detective
Ask TON: How to Fact-Check