For his first major feature, freelancer Brendan Borrell crisscrossed Bolivia for 2 ½ weeks in an old truck with notebook, recorder, and camera, waiting out roadblocks, going a long time between meals, and of course […]
Archive for November, 2010
For a special issue of Science News, staff writer Tina Saey explored research on why we sleep—and what happens when we can’t. Here, Saey, who wrote the package along with staff writers Laura Sanders and […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Paying for It: Getting Grants and Fellowships
- Ask TON: Using PIOs to Hunt Stories
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- How to Ace a 300-Word Story: An Interview with Roy Peter Clark
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism
- Are You an Editor or a Writer? Part II: The Editors
Brendan Koerner Storyboards a Hijacking Tale
Making the Most of Lab Visits
Helen Pearson Profiles an Activist Turned Scientist
A Day in the Life of Ann Finkbeiner
A Day in the Life of Dan Vergano
Christie Aschwanden Pits Evidence against ‘Truthiness’
Weaving a Seamless Tale from Threads of Narrative and Exposition
Ask TON: Planning Reporting
Erica Klarreich Profiles an Award-Winning Mathematician
A Day in the Life of Maggie Koerth-Baker
Cynthia Graber Profiles a Modern-Day Dr. Frankenstein
Ask TON: Is This Draft Too Long?
Jennifer Kahn Asks: Can a Child Psychopath Be Saved?
A Day in the Life of Jennifer Ouellette
Natural Habitat: Andrew Curry
Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism