For his first major feature, freelancer Brendan Borrell crisscrossed Bolivia for 2 ½ weeks in an old truck with notebook, recorder, and camera, waiting out roadblocks, going a long time between meals, and of course […]
Archive for November, 2010
For a special issue of Science News, staff writer Tina Saey explored research on why we sleep—and what happens when we can’t. Here, Saey, who wrote the package along with staff writers Laura Sanders and […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
- A Day in the Life of Emma Marris
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism
- Paying for It: Getting Grants and Fellowships
Ask TON: When Is Outsourcing Unethical?
Ask TON: How Many Stories at Once?
Lost and Found: How Great Nonfiction Writers Discover Great Ideas
A Day in the Life of Emma Marris
Jon Mooallem on a Plan to Bring Hippopotamus Ranching to America
An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
Ask TON: Using PIOs to Hunt Stories
The XX Question
Paige Williams Investigates a Dinosaur Fossil Underworld
George Johnson Chases Lightning
David Wolman Explores Italian Earthquake’s Legal Aftershocks
Tackling the Physical Sciences
Single Best: Dan Ferber
Erik Vance Scrutinizes a Battle over Dolphin Rights
Robin Marantz Henig Examines End of Life Issues
Natural Habitat: Priya Shetty