Freelancer Hillary Rosner traveled to a Colorado River reservoir to meet scientists bent on rescuing an unassuming fish, the razorback sucker. The resulting story, which won the 2010 AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Award in the […]
Archive for February, 2011
If ever you feel alone in the universe, perhaps you can take comfort in the knowledge that in fact, you are never without the company of the thousands of microbial species residing in your body’s […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- A Day in the Life of Emma Marris
Maryn McKenna Describes Life as “Scary-Disease Girl”
Liza Gross Digs into California’s Pesticide Data
Natural Habitat: Ed Yong
Carl Zimmer Ponders Unseen Ecosystems Teeming Within Us
Ask TON: Breaking Into Science Writing
Serendipity Story: Hillary Rosner
A Day in the Life of Tim De Chant
David Quammen on Turning Research Into Story, Part II
Butterfly On A Bullet
Meredith Wadman Probes the Aftermath of a Shooting
Erik Vance Scrutinizes a Battle over Dolphin Rights
Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
A Day in the Life of Emily Anthes
Steve Silberman Finds the Placebo Effect Is … Pretty Sweet
Douglas Fox Recounts an Antarctic Adventure
Ask TON: How Soon to Repitch an Editor?