Freelancer Hillary Rosner traveled to a Colorado River reservoir to meet scientists bent on rescuing an unassuming fish, the razorback sucker. The resulting story, which won the 2010 AAAS Kavli Science Journalism Award in the […]
Archive for February, 2011
If ever you feel alone in the universe, perhaps you can take comfort in the knowledge that in fact, you are never without the company of the thousands of microbial species residing in your body’s […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
Excerpt: The Science Writers’ Handbook
A Day in the Life of Jo Marchant
Track Changes: From Writer to Editor
A Day in the Life of Brian Switek
Michelle Nijhuis Tracks Hopeful Signs Amid a Bat Plague
Ask TON: Why Blog?
A Day in the Life of David Quammen
Greg Miller Examines Mental Health Care in Indonesia
John McPhee on Characters, Structure, Titles, and Facing the ‘Low Dread’ of Writing
Diversity in Science Writing: A Survey
How to Ace a 300-Word Story: An Interview with Roy Peter Clark
Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
Ask TON: Organizing Notes
How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Natural Habitat: Robin Marantz Henig
Four Editors Give Tips on Writing Headlines. You Won’t Believe What Happens Next.