In 2007, freelance science journalist Douglas Fox traveled to Antarctica with a team of glaciologists studying rivers and lakes buried under thousands of feet of ice. He and the researchers spent four weeks tent-camping on […]
Archive for March, 2011
New York Times Magazine contributing writer Robin Marantz Henig traveled to Harvard and the University of Maryland for a story on the biology of anxiety. Alongside top developmental psychologists, she watched research videos on infant […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
A Day in the Life of David Quammen
Meredith Wadman Probes the Aftermath of a Shooting
Robin Marantz Henig Explores the Biology of Anxiety
Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
Paige Williams Investigates a Dinosaur Fossil Underworld
A Day in the Life of Tim De Chant
Ask TON: How Many Interviews?
Ask TON: Anonymous Sources
William Saletan Explores the Malleability of Memory
Resurrecting the Dead: Richard Conniff on Bringing Historical Characters to Life
Steve Silberman Finds the Placebo Effect Is … Pretty Sweet
Seeking to Awe: An “Oops!” Story
George Johnson Chases Lightning
Ask TON: Repitching Killed Stories
A Day in the Life of Rose Eveleth
Michelle Nijhuis Tracks Hopeful Signs Amid a Bat Plague