In medicine, the phrase “the placebo effect” is often prefaced by the word “just”—as though the word “placebo” were a synonym for a psychological trick or a fraud, nothing more than an annoying complication for […]
Subscribe Via Email
The TON/BWF fellowship for early-career science journalists is supported by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
The Open Notebook has partnered with the authors of Science Blogging: The Essential Guide to serve as the book's editorially independent online home.
The Open Notebook is also funded by a grant from the National Association of Science Writers.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Kathryn Schulz Paints a Chilling Picture of “The Really Big One”
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- The Science Byline Counting Project: Where Are the Women—and Where Are They Not?
- How to Tell Science Stories with Maps
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Nailing the Nut Graf
Making the Most of a Writers’ Association Membership
How to Ace a 300-Word Story: An Interview with Roy Peter Clark
Creating Characters on the Page
Jon Mooallem on a Plan to Bring Hippopotamus Ranching to America
Ask TON: Nailing Physical Descriptions
Making the Most of Lab Visits
A Day in the Life of Ann Finkbeiner
A Day in the Life of Carl Zimmer
A Day in the Life of Dan Vergano
Greg Miller Examines Mental Health Care in Indonesia
Natural Habitat: Jessa Gamble
Resurrecting the Dead: Richard Conniff on Bringing Historical Characters to Life
Ask TON: Clearing Writer’s Block
William deBuys Goes to Extremes for Endangered Species
On the Scene: Reporting from the Field
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.