In medicine, the phrase “the placebo effect” is often prefaced by the word “just”—as though the word “placebo” were a synonym for a psychological trick or a fraud, nothing more than an annoying complication for […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
Dispatches from Fact-Checking
A Day in the Life of David Quammen
Brendan Borrell Jets to Bolivia for a Hot Story on Chili Peppers
Talking for Radio
Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism
Excerpt: The Science Writers’ Handbook
Weaving a Seamless Tale from Threads of Narrative and Exposition
A Day in the Life of Rose Eveleth
Four Editors Give Tips on Writing Headlines. You Won’t Believe What Happens Next.
Ask TON: When Is Outsourcing Unethical?
Seeking to Awe: An “Oops!” Story
Erica Klarreich Profiles an Award-Winning Mathematician
Meredith Wadman Probes the Aftermath of a Shooting
Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
Video: David Quammen Interview