When journalist David Dobbs’ mother was dying, she shocked her children by asking that her ashes be spread in the waters off the coast of Hawaii, so that she could be with her former lover, […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- How to Tell Science Stories with Maps
- Kathryn Schulz Paints a Chilling Picture of “The Really Big One”
- Call for Fellowship Applications
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Narrative X-Rays: Looking at Stories’ Structural Skeletons
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Are You an Editor or a Writer? Part II: The Editors
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
A Day in the Life of Ann Finkbeiner
Daniel Engber Dissects the Ubiquitous Laboratory Mouse
A Day in the Life of Emily Anthes
Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism
Cynthia Graber Profiles a Modern-Day Dr. Frankenstein
Florence Williams Takes the Measure of Modern Breasts
Lost and Found: How Great Nonfiction Writers Discover Great Ideas
Like Being There: How Science Writers Use Sensory Detail
Ask TON: How Much Time Should I Spend Preparing a Pitch?
Ask TON: Breaking Into Science Writing
Hillary Rosner Makes Readers Care about Saving an Unassuming Endangered Fish
#$%^* This: What Else Are My Skills Good For?
Ask TON: How Do You Juggle Assignments?
Sharpening Ideas: From Topic to Story
Natural Habitat: Andrew Curry
Ask TON: When Is Outsourcing Unethical?