Yesterday I learned that there are only about 25 spots left for the Science Writing in the Age of Denial conference (@sciencedenial) to be held in Madison, Wisconsin on April 23–24—get one while you still […]
Archive for March, 2012
I’d like to do more international travel as part of my work. I don’t really know how to begin finding stories in foreign countries, either in advance of travel or while I’m there. What are the best ways to do this?
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
Maryn McKenna Reports the Dark Side of Agriculture
Christie Wilcox Gets a Taste of the Atlantic Lionfish Invasion
Natural Habitat: Erik Vance
A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
Beyond the Press-Release Rat Race: Fresh Ways to Cover Science News
TON Collaborates with Knight Science Journalism at MIT
Oral Histories in Science Journalism: An Underrated Art
The XX Question
Ask TON: Anonymous Sources
Natural Habitat: Cassandra Willyard
Ask TON: Finding International Stories
Single Best: Cristine Russell
Pictures and Prose: When Photographers and Writers Work Together
On the Scene: Reporting from the Field
Natural Habitat: Robin Marantz Henig
Liza Gross Digs into California’s Pesticide Data