Yesterday I learned that there are only about 25 spots left for the Science Writing in the Age of Denial conference (@sciencedenial) to be held in Madison, Wisconsin on April 23–24—get one while you still […]
Archive for March, 2012
I’d like to do more international travel as part of my work. I don’t really know how to begin finding stories in foreign countries, either in advance of travel or while I’m there. What are the best ways to do this?
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
- A Day in the Life of Emma Marris
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism
- Paying for It: Getting Grants and Fellowships
- Are You an Editor or a Writer? Part II: The Editors
A Day in the Life of Carl Zimmer
A Day in the Life of Dan Vergano
Natural Habitat: Mary Caperton Morton
David Dobbs Deconstructs “My Mother’s Lover”
Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
Deborah Blum Traces a Poisonous History
Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
Richard Todd on Good Prose
Florence Williams Takes the Measure of Modern Breasts
Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
Natural Habitat: Priya Shetty
Serendipity Story: A Pitch in Sheep’s Clothing
Michelle Nijhuis Tracks Hopeful Signs Amid a Bat Plague
A Day in the Life of Jo Marchant
Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
Natural Habitat: Erik Vance