Yesterday I learned that there are only about 25 spots left for the Science Writing in the Age of Denial conference (@sciencedenial) to be held in Madison, Wisconsin on April 23–24—get one while you still […]
Archive for March, 2012
I’d like to do more international travel as part of my work. I don’t really know how to begin finding stories in foreign countries, either in advance of travel or while I’m there. What are the best ways to do this?
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
- A Day in the Life of Emma Marris
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Paying for It: Getting Grants and Fellowships
- Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- A Day in the Life of Nidhi Subbaraman
Nailing the Nut Graf
Ask TON: Why Blog?
Ask TON: Reconnecting After a Disruption
Serendipity Story: A Pitch in Sheep’s Clothing
A Day in the Life of David Quammen
Amanda R. Martinez Explores Island Conservation’s Ethical Quandries
Creating Characters on the Page
A Day in the Life of Hannah Hoag
Happy Birthday to Us! And … Introducing “Ask TON”
Oral Histories in Science Journalism: An Underrated Art
David Wolman Explores Italian Earthquake’s Legal Aftershocks
Seeking to Awe: An “Oops!” Story
A Day in the Life of Ann Finkbeiner
Christie Aschwanden Pits Evidence against ‘Truthiness’
A Day in the Life of Emily Anthes
Robin Marantz Henig Explores the Biology of Anxiety