TON visits Christie Aschwanden, award-winning writer and editor for The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, O: the Oprah Magazine, Slate, and many other publications. A former professional skier, Christie lives in western Colorado.
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
The First Critic Is You: Editing Your Own Work
A Day in the Life of David Quammen
Natural Habitat: Cynthia Graber
Resurrecting the Dead: Richard Conniff on Bringing Historical Characters to Life
Data Journalism: A Primer for Science Journalists
Gabriel Spitzer Explores the Chicago Science Scene
Like Being There: How Science Writers Use Sensory Detail
Making the Leap from News to Books: Critical Questions
Video: David Quammen Interview
Single Best: Charles Choi
David Wolman Explores Italian Earthquake’s Legal Aftershocks
Brian Vastag Profiles a Dinosaur Tracker
Paige Williams Investigates a Dinosaur Fossil Underworld
Ask TON: How Many Stories at Once?
A Day in the Life of Heather Boerner
Single Best: David Dobbs