The great thing about a pitch slam is that everyone benefits from courageous writers who conquer their nerves enough to pitch an idea, at a microphone, in front of a room full of their peers […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON/BWF fellowship for early-career science journalists is supported by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund.
The Open Notebook has partnered with the authors of Science Blogging: The Essential Guide to serve as the book's editorially independent online home.
The Open Notebook is also funded by a grant from the National Association of Science Writers.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Kathryn Schulz Paints a Chilling Picture of “The Really Big One”
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- The Science Byline Counting Project: Where Are the Women—and Where Are They Not?
- How to Tell Science Stories with Maps
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Nailing the Nut Graf
Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
Talking for Radio
Unlocked: How to Push Past a Career Barrier
Ask TON: Using Quotes
A Day in the Life of Florence Williams
Ask TON: When Is Outsourcing Unethical?
A Day in the Life of John Timmer
Michelle Nijhuis’s Nat Geo Adventure Began with a Word
A Day in the Life of Tim De Chant
Ed Yong Profiles a Scientific Dynasty
Nailing the Nut Graf
Natural Habitat: Jessa Gamble
Ask TON: Meeting Coverage
Ask TON: Conducting and Condensing Q&A Interviews
Making the Most of Lab Visits
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.