I will be embedded with a scientist whom I will follow around for a few days. I like this person already and could be friends in a normal world. Are there strategies I could follow while reporting to remain a human being and keep an appropriate journalistic distance?
Post Tagged with: "Rogers"
For the residents of Lakeshore, Ontario, the black fungus caking their homes was a problem, and they blamed the local distillery. For James Scott, the Sherlock Holmes of fungi, the identity of the unsightly mold was […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
- A Day in the Life of Emma Marris
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism
- Paying for It: Getting Grants and Fellowships
- Are You an Editor or a Writer? Part II: The Editors
Jennifer Kahn Asks: Can a Child Psychopath Be Saved?
How to Ace a 300-Word Story: An Interview with Roy Peter Clark
What Is Science Journalism Worth? Part II
Seth Mnookin Follows a Family Battling a Rare Genetic Disease
Serendipity Story: Hillary Rosner
Writing Revealing Stories Based on Unreliable Sources
Meredith Wadman Probes the Aftermath of a Shooting
Single Best: Paul Raeburn
Ask TON: Breaking Into Science Writing
Ask TON: Reconnecting After a Disruption
Ask TON: Embedded with Scientists
Ask TON: How Many Stories at Once?
Single Best: Seth Mnookin
Ask TON: Meeting Coverage
Single Best: Robin Lloyd
Robin Marantz Henig Explores the Biology of Anxiety