For nearly all her career, journalist and author Maryn McKenna has written about public health, from Midwest droughts to bird flu to Gulf War Syndrome. While covering the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) […]
Post Tagged with: "Soundslides"
When journalist David Dobbs’ mother was dying, she shocked her children by asking that her ashes be spread in the waters off the coast of Hawaii, so that she could be with her former lover, […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
- A Day in the Life of Emma Marris
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Show Me the Money: The Economics of Freelance Science Journalism
- Paying for It: Getting Grants and Fellowships
Daniel Engber Dissects the Ubiquitous Laboratory Mouse
Ask TON: Finding International Stories
Serendipity Story: A Pitch in Sheep’s Clothing
A Day in the Life of Ben Lillie
Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
Ask TON: Organizing Notes
A Day in the Life of John Timmer
Jennifer Kahn Asks: Can a Child Psychopath Be Saved?
Pictures and Prose: When Photographers and Writers Work Together
Track Changes: From Writer to Editor
Writing for Women’s Magazines
Sharpening Ideas: From Topic to Story
Ask TON: Which Meetings?
Single Best: Elizabeth Preston
Christie Aschwanden Pits Evidence against ‘Truthiness’
Ask TON: How to Build Narrative in Explanatory Stories