For nearly all her career, journalist and author Maryn McKenna has written about public health, from Midwest droughts to bird flu to Gulf War Syndrome. While covering the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) […]
Post Tagged with: "Soundslides"
When journalist David Dobbs’ mother was dying, she shocked her children by asking that her ashes be spread in the waters off the coast of Hawaii, so that she could be with her former lover, […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Phil McKenna Describes the Making of “Life in the Death Zone”
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- A Day in the Life of Emma Marris
Surviving the Grind of Fact-Checking
Susan Dominus Delves into the Lives and Minds of a Remarkable Pair of Conjoined Twins
Ask TON: Nailing Physical Descriptions
Roberta Kwok Tracks an Asteroid as It Hurtles toward Earth
Ask TON: How to Build Narrative in Explanatory Stories
Writing for Women’s Magazines
Ask TON: How Many Stories at Once?
Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
Christie Wilcox Gets a Taste of the Atlantic Lionfish Invasion
Single Best: Laura Helmuth
Nailing the Nut Graf
Single Best: Cristine Russell
Seeking to Awe: An “Oops!” Story
Sharpening Ideas: From Topic to Story
A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
Amy Harmon Follows a Young Autistic Man into the World