For nearly all her career, journalist and author Maryn McKenna has written about public health, from Midwest droughts to bird flu to Gulf War Syndrome. While covering the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) […]
Post Tagged with: "Soundslides"
When journalist David Dobbs’ mother was dying, she shocked her children by asking that her ashes be spread in the waters off the coast of Hawaii, so that she could be with her former lover, […]
SUBSCRIBE VIA EMAIL
The TON Pitch Database
To tell a compelling story to readers, you first need to sell it to an editor. TON has compiled dozens of successful feature pitches to a wide range of publications.
If you have a successful pitch you’d like to submit for the TON pitch database (and if the resulting story has been published), please contact us.
- Pitching Errors: How Not to Pitch
- Trading the Pipette for the Pen: Transitioning from Science to Science Writing
- Carl Zimmer’s Brief Guide to Writing Explainers
- Taking Good Notes: Tricks and Tools
- Tools: Planner Pad, the Funnel of Focus
- Meetings of Minds, or, How to Talk to a Scientist
- How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
- Good Beginnings: How to Write a Lede Your Editor—and Your Readers—Will Love
- Virginia Hughes Enters the Land of the Sleepyheads
- Are You a Writer or an Editor? Part I: The Writers
- Ask TON: What Does a Science Writing Master’s Program Get You?
- Nailing the Nut Graf
- Congratulations, You’re an Editor! What Do You Do Now?
- A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
- An Army of Helpers: Twitter as a Reporting Tool
Serendipity Story: Hillary Rosner
Ask TON: Saving String
Adam Rogers Shadows a Fungus Detective
Are You an Editor or a Writer? Part II: The Editors
Diversity in Science Writing: A Survey
Jon Mooallem on a Plan to Bring Hippopotamus Ranching to America
Natural Habitat: Christie Aschwanden
A Day in the Life of Amanda Gefter
Ask TON: Clearing Writer’s Block
Brian Vastag Profiles a Dinosaur Tracker
Talking for Radio
How to Ace a 300-Word Story: An Interview with Roy Peter Clark
David Tuller Untangles the Research History of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Natural Habitat: Cynthia Graber
The Art of the Essay
Hillary Rosner Makes Readers Care about Saving an Unassuming Endangered Fish